13 December 2010

1 Day Until Swear-In

I am currently in Nairobi and going to swear-in tomorrow morning! To all those who don't know, swearing-in is a ceremony where I finally become a real volunteer instead of just a trainee. The day after swearing-in I will finally be moving into my own house. I have 2-3 weeks of just adjusting to my new community and I believe in the first week of January, I will begin teaching Math and Biology at Lariak Day Secondary School.

Now that training is just about over, I can't believe I've been here for 11 weeks already. Time went by so slowly in the first 2 weeks with all the awkward conversations and staring with the host family. But, as time passed, they slowly stopped looking at me like an alien and conversations started to flow more easily, learning the language also helped. I left my Kenyan family this past Saturday and am going to be leaving my fellow Peace Corps family this Thursday to start a new life from scratch again. 

While in Nairobi, I am loading up on my American food and using as much free Internet as possible. There is such a drastic difference between Loitokitok and Nairobi. Nairobi is like America with flushing toilets, hot water whenever you want, more stable electricity (most of the time), and all different kinds of foods and HUGE wal-mart like shops. I had me some DELICIOUS Indian food and Thai food these past few days. Nobody stops and stares and kids don't come running up to you yelling "Mzungu Mzungu Mzungu." I am ignored again and not the center of attention.... oh man, it's a nice break.

I am about to meet my counter-parts (supervisors) for my site and learn more about my future community and school. But, since I have Internet,

Click here for some pictures from Loitokitok during training

No comments:

Post a Comment