15 October 2010

I'm Here!

So we landed in Nairobi, and we've been staying in a hostel until tomorrow. We haven't seen much of the city because days are filled with training and then we have a curfew at 6:30pm which is when it gets dark. Tomorrow we leave for Loitokitok, Kenya which is where we will be for training until December. Sunday is when we meet our host families, so EXCITED!!!!!! So, so far we've just been going through the basics, background info, what we can and cannot do, how to use the choo (toilets) and how to bathe. I've been brushing my teeth with a water bottle and can't open my mouth in the shower, which is different.

Oh fun story, on my way to the train my straps broke on the 40 pound duffel bag!! SUPER! So I lugged onto the train, out of the train stop and to the hotel. Luckily there was a Target right next to our hotel so I stopped in there and bought a new duffel. PHEW. Now, this duffel rolls and is SO much easier to carry.

Another fun fact! We've started our Malaria pills that was take once a week. Apparently, the side effect to these pills are vivid nightmares and hallucinations during your dreams. Supposedly the dreams won't start until about a month after taking the pills! YAY!!!!!!!! But, don't worry. They have 3 types of malaria pills we can take, so if these side effects are too overwhelming, I can take another kind.

Well I'm going to go repack my stuff to get ready for the 5-8 hour bus ride (yes I know, a large range). Everybody take care and I miss you guys!

4 comments:

  1. hiii!!!! it seems like you're already so busy. i cant believe you're actually IN africa now. i dont think it's really sunk in that you're gone and i'm not going to see you for 2 years.
    i hope you have a good host family. and i'm very proud of you, you posted twice since you've started this blog =)

    i miss you!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha you WOULD be excited about the pills' side effects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so...when do you start bucket bathing? have you met your host fam yet? how about those first incredibly awkward moments/first days? any household livestock?

    training - equally as fun as it is...not. can't wait for us to be able to compare!

    remember...living vicariously, jess. living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete